Como, important for its
geographical position between Italy and Europe and for its touristical
activities, has had an increasing development of public transportation since the
In the first half of '800
the service on the lake starts with a fleet of steamships; in the second half of
the same century the railway tunnel of S. Gottardo is opened and Como is linked
with Milan on one side and with Lucerne on the other.
In 1894 the funicular Como-Brunate is opened, symbol of the public
transport development in that period, when every centre in the Province was
linked with the provincial capital through a series of public transport lines.
It was the period of industrial
development and the beginning of what would later become “mass tourism".
In 1911 the traction system is changed from steam to electricity.
In 1912 the "cannon" is installed, firing a salute every day at noon.
In the years 1934/35 the plant is completely revamped, including the
total rebuilding of the Brunate station.
In 1951 a further changing of vehicles
is carried out.
At the end of the '60s, the private transport by car puts public
transport in a difficult position, as it gradually becomes clear in the second
half of the XX century.
In the '70s in Como, as in other areas of the country, private transport
companies cannot control losses any more.
The local bodies around Como (Municipalities and Province) decide to react to
such a situation establishing a consortium that will manage the suburban lines
in the Como province already in concession to the companies STECAV, SALVI,
BARADELLO, GRATTONI and DELL'OCA.
For a long time such a consortium will also manage the funicular plant whose
property was transferred from Società Anonima Funicolare Como/Brunate, (whose
reference shareholder was Earl Cesare Bonacossa) to the Region of Lombardy in
During the period of entrusted management the C.P.T. Consortium carried out the
adaptation of the plant to the new security and technology needs.
As from July 2005 the management of the Como/Brunate Funicular is
entrusted - following the enforcement by the Como Municipality of the procedures
for deregulating the public transport services sector - to a joint Society whose
head office is in Como (Consorzio Mobilità Funicolare & Bus). Within such a
framework the operation management of the Como - Brunate funicular is entrusted
to Azienda Trasporti Milanesi S.p.A.